Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Despite my Nickname, I claim the title to world's greatest wingman

Lemme begin by giving you some quotes what mean something. These come from my antics in my Brit Lit class, since everyone in there is a bore and don't want to speak. When talking about the The Tragical Dr. Faustus, I quoted Arcade Fire's Laika, "If you want something, don't ask for nothing. If you want nothing, don't ask for something." I thought this was a good connection given Faustus had no clue what he wanted to do with the power, it was enough for him to have it.
"Not all treasure is silver and gold mate." We all know what that's from. Some scholars believe when doing a critical analysis of literature that X marks the spot, and it never changes. The book is the map, and X is where you ought to end up, and if you deviate, you don't find the treasure at the end of the map. Which is where I contend with Jack Sparrows admonition.
"If wishes were horses, we'd all be eatin' steak." Jayne Cobb from Firefly puts it plainly, when studying "The Vanity of Human Wishes" by Samuel Johnson talks about the frailty of human luxuries, and if we aren't careful, it's our pampered lifestyle, not our governments that will bring us ruin. Brave New World is the spiritual successor to this epistle.
Now for my Wingman story. So sure I can't navigate relationships myself, I'm a train wreck, but bah, who cares? I can be the bomb when it comes to helping my brethren out. Shortly after talking up a good friend of mine at school this morning (she was worried about her writing, and it was sloppy, but we both know she can do better, and I told her so, to not be afraid or worry) I was walking out, and there were these two bros, chatting, when a cute girl passes by and they all say hi to each other. The one bro who looked shy watched her go, with that look like "Man I wish I could talk to her." I stopped and looked him in the eyes and said, "Dude. Just go get her number already." He hesitated not knowing what I meant, and I pointed back at her, "GO. Get her number dude, what are you standing here for?" He ran off and caught up with her, and I exchanged nods with the other bro before striding out. SUCH IS MY LIFE. AND IT IS CHOICE. OPERATOR OUT

1 comment: