Wednesday, January 26, 2011

ROPI 3

Another ROPI installment!!
I don’t want EMPATHY, I don’t want SYMPATHY. I want CHANGE. I have NO NEED for your pity, your blank faces of MEANINGLESS FROWNS AND SHRUGS, I need PROGRESSION. I know what it means and how it feels to sit in STILL WATER and let the algae grow over me. I’ve seen it, I’ve been in it, I’ve WALKED on it, and it is DEATH. It is DAMNATION. The institutions that we sit in and type for and push pencils and compile data and smile for, are DAMNED. When an honest soul tries to act on the importance they’ve been ‘given’ by the NAMELESS FACELESS ‘general management,’ they are swatted down, like a fly on a hot summer Sunday.
“Our employees are IMPORTANT, you mean so much to us,” they lie through their teeth. “Your comments help make us great.”
But no one likes dirty laundry. Pass it on, or IGNORE it, buy new clothes. We have bigger issues, we’re in the SOW’S MIRE as it is. And you’re WILLING to pass by the possibility that this is the stick to pull you out?
“THAT’S JUST THE WAY IT IS. There’s politics in EVERY institution. You just have to play the game.” But if the game is a social norm, not a policy or mission of the institution, and it feels morally wrong, then why are we still doing it? Does a meaningless soul have a right to make a difference, or are we to sit and watch as we follow orders that screw people? I feel the difference between ‘institutions’ and Nazi Germany, is we can’t fit our employees in the outdated microwaves in our decrepit common areas. I WAS JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS.
I can’t BEAR THE RESPONSIBILITY of telling people I can’t help them, it’s easy when they’re nothing but a file on a computer, but when you have to sit down with a downtrodden human soul, I cannot stand for the INJUSTICE. The injustice does not lie in the lack of our ability to help, we must look at people and say we would if we could. The issue is too many have, and they won’t give. Or they’ll give to one, and not the other, each situation being the same. I DON’T WANT CONTROL! I want the ‘general management’ to make good on what powers they said we peons have. And if we don’t have those powers, don’t lie to me and tell me they’re there.
This is INSANITY. I am LOSING my mind. They tell me, it’s not worth it, you’ll move on, this isn’t your career. It shouldn’t matter this much. Does that mean I’ve wasted the last year and a half? THE LAST FOR YEARS? THE LAST DECADE? Of course not, you’ve gained experience! A HOLLOW victory at the expense of so many people. I didn’t make a difference. Do you KNOW what that feels like? To feel UNIMPORTANT? To feel like you have done no good for the world, and a year has simply made you push on to the next plane of your life? I won’t stand for it. For indifference, for unimportance, for the status quo. Damn the institutions that foster such feelings. Damn your indifference, your unimportance, your status quo.
I fear for my future, because I refuse to take this. I’m afraid if I’ll ever succeed, because I question authority and validity. I worry about my career, and if I’ll ever make enough to support my family, or make a difference, because I don’t want to play the damn game.
So, how to change it.

How to convert an institution into a business of legitimacy:
1) Get rid of the groups. We’re not in the 1890s anymore, we’re not a factory. Additionally, cliques should not exist
2) Make good on the importance you promise your employees. Nothing says “you’re worthless” like an ignored request.
3) The five C’s and one D. Consistency. Consistency. Consistency. Consistency. Consistency, Damn it.
4) Allow issues to come out, so they can be resolved. An all is well in Zion attitude will get you killed.
5) If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. But if it’s twenty years old, time to change the batteries.
6) Responsibility. If everyone feels they’re responsible, everyone involved will work to see something through. Too many cooks in a pot, that’s bullshit.
7) The patrol method. If your immediate superiors can’t resolve it, we shouldn’t have to trust that they’ll pass on the issue. They’re too busy. Peons should have the power to go directly to the next level up.

No comments:

Post a Comment