Friday, January 31, 2014

Pergo



So I was reading an article in the paper, and it was on about how we ought to build on our strengths and focus on those rather than our weaknesses in order to get through the daily grind. And I agree fully, I think that mankind should try and reach it's fullest potential. However it quoted a book written by Tom Rath and there was a statement in there that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Tom Rath said "You cannot be anything you want to be - but you can be a lot more of who you already are."

You cannot be anything you want to be - but you can be a lot more of who you already are.

Let that sink in a moment. Now he does have a valid point, instead of trying to force ourselves to do something that we're not very good at, we are much more productive at playing to our strengths, and I agree in the most basic sense of the phrase. Sure we can be more productive, but that also creates complacency, boredom, and stagnation if you're simply stuck in one thing. Where's the spice of life? The Adventure of Risk? I can see his perspective, especially coming from the Boy Scouts. When I was first made a Senior Patrol Leader in my community troop it was because I had developed those skills at a younger age, and my father was a great leader as well so I took from his example. A person might have suggested that I was a natural born leader but I disagree, I developed those skills through my upbringing. Regardless, as an SPL I was tasked with asking the boys to perform certain duties we had in the troop, especially during camps. One specific outing that comes to mind was our trip to the National Jamboree in 05. And when I made the assignments for my senior staff, I played to their strengths. Andrew was extremely organized and fantastic at keeping files together for one thing or another, so I appointed him as my Scribe. Stephan was similarly very organized and resourceful so I asked him to be my Quartermaster. Andy, while we disagreed a great deal on leadership styles, was very amiable and could reach people differently, and after a manner represented half the troop we were contingent with, since half of us were from different districts. And we ran like clockwork, because everybody played their strengths and did it well.

So yes there is wisdom in that.

Let me draw another example for you. I'm not an athletic person, ask anyone what knows me. I hike and enjoy the outdoors sure, but I'm no sports jockey by any means. So when I wanted to longboard because I wanted to snowboard because I thought it was cool and I was living in the Rockys, I was breaking VASTLY new ground. I had never done anything like it before in my life! But I wanted it so I went out and did it, and it was difficult. I spent the first week just practicing balance and mounting the board, nevermind taking it out at all and riding it proper. After I thought I had a handle on the situation, I tried coasting down the driveway into the street, and the minute I hit curb I was tasting asphalt. I took it easy and it took months. I started doing long stretches on sidewalks, not knowing that was actually step 3, I was supposed to try it in parking lots first since they're much smoother. That was where I went to post-sidewalks so I could practice carving and dismounting and whatnot. When it became too cold to board anymore I was happy with my progress. I changed something about myself, and it started with desire.

Now Tom definitely could say, "Well that's easy, obviously you have a naturally well developed center of gravity, and you're a natural longboarder, it's in your blood."

But I simply don't agree with that. You can't be whomever you want, WITHOUT DESIRE. That's the key, not this stagnant and non-progressive school of thought that tells us we don't have to change or improve. We're so complacent in the thought that we should just accept ourselves. While we should be happy with ourselves, don't get me wrong, we should always want to stretch ourselves too. Go out and do something you didn't think you could do. Another example, my hands are really small for being a tall dude, and it's really uncomfortable trying to learn the guitar. I do it anyway. Because I want it. If I wanted to be an astronaut, I could. Desire is your key, not acceptance. Because complete acceptance is simply a form of defeat, submission, surrender. It limits us because it gives us the sense that we cannot be anything more than we already are.

Ask yourself why the powers that be might want that of the lowly folk.

Operator Out

No comments:

Post a Comment